The community has a wide variety of housing styles ranging from gated, shingled rowhouses built in the 1970s to century-old townhouses and brick rowhouses. The majority of the northern part of the neighborhood is filled with pre-war, 6-story buildings.
The community retains its quiet and secluded charm by being relatively challenging to reach via subway trains, which access the neighborhood only at its far corners.Find Claremont apartments
|Building Address||# no-fee apts|
Communicate anonymously with agents.
Get alerts when new apartments hit the market.
Save your favorite searches and apartments.
Claremont boasts proximity to Crotona Park, a 127-acre green area with a public pool, expansive meadows, sports fields and large variety of shady trees. Most of the population of the neighborhood is African-American, Puerto Rican, or Dominican. Neighbors enjoy shopping and dining near E. 174th Street and E. Tremont Avenue. Claremont is part of the reviving South Bronx area, which was originally owned by the aristocratic and powerful Morris family. The area was not well-populated until 1840, when Gouverneur Morris Jr. permitted a railroad to be built across the property. In 1848, a new town called Morrisania Village was developed on the land, and in 1855, additional early settlements sprung up along the railroad line and became the town of Morrisania. The town was one of the first bedroom communities of New York City, populated by people who worked in Manhattan.
A wave of arson ravaged the South Bronx area in the 1970s, and many of the original homes in the community were then destroyed. Subsequently, the city began to rehabilitate the formerly abandoned tenement-style apartment buildings in the area which were originally created for large influxes of Eastern European immigrants during the later half the 19th century and early 20th century.
Claremont is close to the landmark Morris High School, a spectacular Collegiate Gothic school built to celebrate the Consolidated School System of Greater New York. Morris High School was one of five such grand educational buildings raised in each of the burroughs of the city. The school is the architectural centerpiece of the South Bronx neighborhood. It features buff-colored brick with limestone and terra-cotta trim, and elaborate decorations including lancent windows and Tudor arches.
The neighborhood now has a reputation for spirited recovery from its former blight. The community banded together to enforce a tough crack-down on crime. It now appeals to New Yorkers looking to enjoy affordable housing in a historic area.